Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Another Hostage Crisis

UPDATE:  Less than 8 hours to go on the auction.  At the moment, it appears this machine may be spared from execution.  The current high bidder ($58.77) is a total vintage stuff nerd judging by their history.  Will the choppers want the keys enough to take it higher?  Tick, tick, tick...

The hostage of the day is a lovely black Corona Four.  The seller will hold off on cutting the keys until auction end on November 30th - the whole machine being made available with additional shipping.

Sounds fair enough:  Buy this typewriter or I will dismantle it.

Here is the machine in question:
I don't usually borrow photos unattributed.  This comes from the seller's linked photo album.
Looks pretty nice.  I like the semi-period setting.
The ebay auction ID is 370562343603

This auction reminded me of the National Lampoon cover or the SNL skit featuring Larry the Lobster.
This is one of those situations that leaves me seriously conflicted.  I try to keep the addiction in check by working off a short want list..  Even that is constrained by the desire for the machines I adopt to have non-standard type faces.  In theory, the responsibility involved in rescuing a typewriter is minimal compared to springing a dog or cat from the animal shelter. We've done that and spent years with some really high maintenance animals as well as some awesome ones.  Still, typewriters take space and deserve to be put in rotation for actual typing duties.

I've put the auction on my watch list.  I don't know exactly what I will do until the actual execution date approaches.

5 comments:

  1. The Corona Four is a nice machine. I began this whole typewriter collecting schtick back around February. I already had my early '80s Olivetti and a late '30s Remington Portable. And then I convinced myself that I should go for a few choice examples from all the other decades in between. Well, 13 typewriters later and it's spiralled slightly out of control. Still, there are at least two machines that will go back onto eBay before too long.
    If you can justify the expense and the space, then I say go for it, Dwayne. And think of the kharma points that you'll clock up, knowing that you saved this typewriter from a key-chopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful little machine. But we can't save them all. Let us know what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Corona Four is a great machine. And hey! it looks fine, there are no bids placed so far, and the case is boxy! Boxy cases are cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This (as many typewriters) is too nice of a machine to destroy for parts. It is impossible to save every nice old relic no matter if it is a typewriter, radio, tool, photograph, camera, building and on and on. Be nice if all old things could be preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do buy this machine, someone in the Typosphere would probably be interested in buying it from YOU -- if you decide not to keep it, that is.

    Or give it as a gift to someone who would really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Dang. My blog was hit by Spam comments. Comment moderation has been turned on for some time yet to be determined.