Friday, June 22, 2012

No Kitty Cat Pajamas Allowed: Typed with a Campy Aristocrat


Welcome to the first of several posts from our most awesome family vacation to the San Luis valley in southern Colorado.  We were unplugged for a good portion of the trip.  I brought along my one compact typewriter, a Hermes Baby clone branded as an Empire Aristocrat.  I bought this last year after looking at the Hermes version.  I can't say I like its stock paint colors.  Besides, the Aristocrat has a somewhat universal keyboard with pound and dollar signs.  I also like the glitzy red keys apparently ripped off from Olivetti.


This most awesome typing locale was right behind our campsite.  The rushing white water is great for sleep and for causing the family to make multiple trips to the pit toilet.

Um, that would be "schlep".  The anniversary part refers to the date upon which MEK and I were hitched.  I can think of worse places to spend an anniversary.


And now for the sorry story behind the "No Kitty Cat Pajamas" camping dictum.  As you read the following typecast, realize that I was sleep deprived.  I got the sequence a little mixed up.  We most decidedly did not go camping last year after this not-so-pleasant episode.  The event in question happened after primitive camping on the Cedar Mesa in southern Utah.  The closest cell tower was around 30 miles away.  The closest neighbor was perhaps 5 miles as the crow flies.  That is the way I like it.

I could try and pass off "diesal" as a warped sense of humor thing.  Alas, I was brain dead and misspelled it while the the grips of the luscious white noise from the stream.

Thus spake the gingercat: "You misspelled whatever."  Watever.
Now you know how we roll.  We aren't misanthropic.  We don't necessarily hate people.  We just want our dose of nature to not involve loud humanoid noises in the night.

Here are a few more images of the Empire Aristocrat.  It isn't a bad little machine.  At some point I will have to try a small Olivetti or Skywriter.  Unlike some Typospherians, I actually like the short throw on the Olympia SF and Socialite machines that were gifted to my daughters last year.





12 comments:

  1. Wow quite a story! I have gone ahead and embraced my misanthropic tendencies to save time, but I seek out enclaves likely to harbor the few decent people who still exist, such as ham radio and the typosphere (hmm, activities requiring brain use - coincidence?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your latter statement is accurate. We're a family of readers and tend to shun excess noise. While we were in the Crestone area, the Charter School had a liquidation sale prior to moving to a better space. Between that, a Saturday market yard sale and photo books donated to the historical society for resale, we came back with half a bookcase full of new/old reading material.

      Once every year or two, my family helps kick me out the door for a single walkabout. I do policy and regulatory analysis, negotiation and writing for a living. When I am ready to get away on my own, the perfect trip involves not seeing or talking to anyone for days. A couple of years ago I was somewhat surprised when I determined that I had not said a word for four days. With these little breaks, I can handle society for another year.

      Delete
  2. Nice location, nice typewriter and hopefully you are having a nice vacation.

    The noisy neighbor reason is why I always liked primitive campgrounds and / or the solitude of back packing. Can't take a typewriter, but the one-ness with nature can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, this is day three back in the regulatory and policy word mine. Vacation was indeed wonderful. Anytime a family with two middle school age kids can spend a week together without major arguments is a good time.

      In the pre-kid era, MEK and I used to go backpacking. The girls are finally getting big enough to be their own pack mules, so that time may come again.

      Delete
  3. The last time I truly saw the Milky Way was when I was 12 or so, up in Northern Wisconsin. One of my older sisters, who was into astronomy, took us young'ns out start gazing. I do miss seeing stars. (That same vacation she told us the story of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I was hooked and began my first read of the trilogy when we got home.)

    As for those red keys . . . a bit of an aesthetic clash there! I guess if one red key is good then 5 must be real good! Looks kinda cheesy on the pale grey background (IMHO).

    p.s. Just recalled that I owe you a pretend letter for another typewriter . . . I'll be out of town this weekend (hosting a Type-In) but I will get to it next week. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you need a dose of Crestone! Well, there are other dark skies locations but they are few and far between. It was dark enough at the guest house we stayed in after camping to see the Milky Way within a few minutes of stepping outside.

      The red keys are interesting. My first impression was not great, but I've come to enjoy them.

      I hope your Type-In is fabulous!

      Delete
  4. I love that opening photo. Idyllic! And no noisy humans around.

    I have an Aristocrat and wish it had red keys like yours. They are good-looking machines, with that glossy hammered paint, even if they're not fantastic typers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stream is far more energetic than the photo indicates. The site was idyllic with the exception of the mosquitos. As painful as they can be, they are still preferable to pesky people.

      I would have felt like a heretic for pointing out the so-so typing performance of this machine. I'm glad it isn't just me. Which compact models do you prefer?

      Delete
    2. I think my top choices would be (1) Olympia SF series, (2) Groma Kolibri, (3) Skyriter (not the later Couriers and such, which are the same design made more cheaply). The Brothers are also good, and you could argue that they should be #2 or #3.

      Delete
  5. Nice photos and really nice typewriter!
    It seems that Hermes Rockets and Babies will be those trendy typers forever and ever - and rightfully so bc they have a charm and cuteness about them. I do like your Empire Aristocrat as an alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Richard, that first photo is beautiful!
    And your Aristocrat looks great to me; the red keys framed by the silvery gray just stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Idyllic scenery mixed in with noisy, unpleasant people. This is often the case in public places, especially campgrounds in the summertime. I'm glad you found some peace and quiet later on!

    I would be happy to tote along either my Gossen Tippa or Webster XL-747 compact portable for a trip like this.

    ReplyDelete

Dang. My blog was hit by Spam comments. Comment moderation has been turned on for some time yet to be determined.