Saturday, June 16, 2012

Royal Typewriter Rescue and Another Special Typeface

The Royal portable typewriter on the left in the photo below is a recent rescue from ebay.  I was happy to liberate it from the clutches of a key chopper (evidenced by a bid history on typewriters and craft supplies).

There is one obvious problem:  this machine is hammered.  It appears to have spent the last 50 years or so in a barn or attic with no cover.  The seller even commented that he had done an initial cleaning.  Every part that can be dried out is.  The paint is scuffed, chipped, oxidized and crazed.  At this point, you may be wondering why on earth I bought this beater.  Am I really so crazed about key choppers that I would rescue junk?

As the title implies, you will need to read on for the answer.


The typewriter on the right goes by the name of "Keylime".  She will remain a mystery until a future post.  However, a side-by-side view gives you a pretty good idea of how far gone this poor red Royal is.

Kissing cousins, as if anyone would want to kiss a derelict.

As seen below, this rescue was not entirely altruistic.  Actually, it possesses a typeface that is my one of my "white whales".  It is an obsession among obsessions.

This typeface appears to be identical to that of a Royal Aristocrat shown on the Cambridge Typewriter Company blog.  Tom Furrier identified it as "Moderne Pica Block, Ra 280" by Alfred Ransmeyer &  Albert Rodian Vereinigte Typenfabriken, Berlin.  I have reason to believe this is actually the common variation of the rare Vogue typeface available for the 1930 variation of the Royal portable.  More on that subject in a later post.


Is this Vogue by another name?

This poor machine has seen better days.  I have yet to take it apart to assess whether it can be repaired as is.  If not, the type bar assembly will become the subject of a transplant operation to another Royal.  For what it is worth, the other residents in the House Full of Nerds think it is beautiful and see its potential.  I'll give repair an honest try or perhaps combine it with another parts machine if necessary.

What do you think?  How far should I go to bring this basket case back to good health?  I am out on travel at the moment, so comment moderation will be delayed.  Rest assured, they will appear in the near future!

17 comments:

  1. You are very lucky. Royal Vogue or anything close to it. Vogue is one of my favorite type faces and very high on my wish list. Better to have an old beat machine that works than no old machine at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for that font, I think your plan is sound: restoration try, then basket transplant if possible. You *must* have that typeface back in circulation :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see where you tried it at all. I have a number of filthy derelicts who type well, such as the newly leathered one and the HH. Royals in particular seem to be able to take this treatment. I'm just saying, shoot some liquid wrench in there and see if it speaks.
    But yeah, do whatever you can to get that typeface working again. Are these the same pitch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right! That R in particular convinces me when I compare it to the Vogue typeface. Excellent find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! You've found my #1 most wanted typewriter. I'm desperately looking for a rural with this typeface. Excellent find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All: Thanks for the comments! I will treat this machine to a good washing and lube. However, it will need new pinch rollers before it can be even marginally functional. I'd like a parts machine to work with. I've been surprised at what a beating the old Royals can take and still be made to work. Well, it will work with the infamous skip, anyway.

    As for finding the Vogue typeface, this is the result of studying every closeup on every Royal portable of the right era listed on ebay in the last ten months. That has to number in the hundreds or thousands of machines. Aren't obsessions wonderful? I wish all of you luck in finding the typewriter of your dreams!

    The Nerd family is currently vacationing in the Rocky Mountains. I look forward to catching up on comments from the last week once I am someplace with reliable Internet connectivity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what were you looking for to find this machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a scientific search. I looked at any photo that showed the type bars from above. In the sample Richard posted you will notice a few easily recognized letters. The "I" is a dead give away even in a blurry photo due to the lack of serifs. The "X" is another good indicator.

      Delete
  8. Finding machines with interesting and unique fonts is almost mission impossible for me and that's really because my finds are mostly online. You're lucky to find your white whale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up hope! All of my unique fonts have come from ebay or Etsy. I've seen more than one cursive Olivetti appear. One has your name on it!

      Delete
  9. I'd say if anybody can bring this machine back to life, it's you...and maybe Richard P, Adwoa, i dream lo-tech, Reverend Ted, Robert Messinger, the list goes on-
    But I digress. It's a project worth doing, a venture fraught with peril and obstacles. A donor machine (I almost typed 'donut') would be handy. Mix and match in order to wind up with a fantastic typewriter when all is said and done. I'd also be inclined to strip the remaining red from it and turn it into a silver surfer. That would go very nicely with the Deco Vogue font.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can live up to that compliment. Given the overall condition, a franken typewriter may be a good option. I've also considered custom paint assuming I can get the rubber bits replaced.

      Delete
  10. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350574200812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1158

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK 3rd time is a charm. Having issues posting. I was on EBay last night looking at typewriters and would you believe I found one...a good one that looks functional and in great condition. Luckily he typed a few words and had very good pictures, which clearly showed the Vogue font. I'm pretty sure he's a picker who doesn't necessarily specialize in typewriters, otherwise I am sure he would have listed it for much more. I got it for 200 and will let you know how it is when it arrives! http://www.ebay.com/itm/350574200812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1158

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! You found a Vogue machine much more quickly than I did. It is rare to find an ebay auction with a type sample and even rarer that is a desirable one. I hope you enjoy your new toy.

      As for your posting problem, it is not a function of your computer or browser. I was hit with spam not too long ago and had to turn on comment moderation. I have been doing that when I have a reliable cell signal on vacation. That has not been often the last week.

      Delete
  12. Dang, these things really are out there! I'm going to have to start scrutinizing typefaces on eBay Royals too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interesting typefaces are indeed out there for the finding. All it takes is a little obsession ;-) I have to say though, over the last year or so I have noticed that uncommon machines come up in threes. I bought an Erika A6 M the week there were at least ten Erikas listed; and then none for a month. Same with cursive Royals and robot and italic font Olympias - three appear in a week and then none. I will perhaps give too much away by saying that three Vogue machines have now appeared in the ebay wild in the last month. Still, another flock can come at any moment!

      Delete

Dang. My blog was hit by Spam comments. Comment moderation has been turned on for some time yet to be determined.