Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Royal Hartford Typewriter Factory Photo Resurection

I finally pulled the photo of the Royal Typewriter factory final adjustment room out of its frame and gave it a proper scan.  The driver software for the Epson 3170 has some nice restoration tools built in.  This is a 16-bit grey scale scan with a touch of unsharp mask.  The built in color restoration function did the rest.
The original post with additional information about the factory and the photographed and unadjusted image is at http://vintagetechobsessions.blogspot.com/2012/04/royal-hartford-adjustment-department.html

If you missed it the first time around, this will give you a good idea of how well this print has weathered the last 90+ years.
Photographed in the frame.  How's that for digital magic?

I've added a "Download Zone" to my Fotki site.  Feel free to grab a digital copy at
http://public.fotki.com/coyotesareus/download-zone/technology/

The image comes in file sizes ranging from relatively easy to download to high resolution.  The latter should blow up nicely to just about any size you want.  I'm thinking this would look good on Adorama's black and white paper at poster size.

Lucky me:  Kansas City hosts one of 13 National Archives for Federal archival records.  This Saturday, they are putting on a full day "Preservation Matters" workshop on archival and preservation techniques for photographs, ephemera and household heirlooms.  I'll probably find out that I have done everything wrong, but I am still looking forward to learning more.

5 comments:

  1. I can really imagine walking through that room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on this! It was almost worth having the POS HP printer/scanner bite the dust so you could hook the Epson back up again and work your magic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll chime in - you did a fine restoration job. I love this photo!

    ReplyDelete

Dang. My blog was hit by Spam comments. Comment moderation has been turned on for some time yet to be determined.